Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It has been a circus

A science circus is a very creative, fun, and organized way to engage students in the many discoveries they can make about science. Working with everyone science station I found that even at my age i was interested and engaged. I wanted to find out why is this happening and each station gave a wonderful visual example of these experiments. Today i was not prepared though, i thought that we were sharing our ideas and not actually full filling them today. I wish I had actually finished my entire project so t hat people could see my idea come to life. I would have been far more organized then i was. I am usually someone that is more then ready for any task. I learned a lot however about how we should organize and present our lesson to the students. A experiment is only good if it is clear and to the point so that the students can not make any mistakes. Tiny things from having to flip a page back and forth to find steps and questions, to larger things like unclear directions are all things that as educators we MUST keep in mind so that our students can learn.

Here is a circus, it looks like mass confusion and a million things going on a once. However it is the complete opposite of confusion, in fact it is a well organized event. Everyone knows thee job and where to be at he right time, if this was ever messed up the circus would not work.

The color of the text seems crazy and unorganzied however if you really look it is well organized.

I learned things i never knew before! like the pepper and soup in water. The way the pepper shot to  the sides of the container was so cool, I know about surface tension, but i never really understood what it meant until i did this experiment. Also being that I manage a pool in the summer and i train lifeguards this can be used in a significant way, and I will bring this experiment to there attention. This is how i relate this experiemnt to my life, when someone is in the water with a head neck or back injury we do not want lifeguards jumping into the water to make a save. it creates a wave and disrupts the water. We infact slid into the water as gently as possible causing as little tension in the water as possible. Im very excited about sharing this and giving my employees a better understanding of what surface tension is.


AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!   NYS and NATIONAL standards. Today I was very grateful we went over the standards. They are very clearly laid out and are wonderful guide lines for each of us to follow, but we need to know how to access and present then in our lesson plans if they are going to be of any use to us. This is why going over things step by step can only enhance our ability to succeed. The national standards gives us the aim of the lesson or unit or even entire year, it gets more narrow when we look at the nys standards which is more representative of the more general goal. Then of course we have a crucial part which is our objective, this is more correlated to what we want to educate our students on today, and how we are going to assess whether they learned it or not. It is important to use verbs that represent higher order thinking like compare and contrast, predict, analyze. These are the things that we want our students to be able to accomplish my the end of the lesson. 

I was very confused before today's class. This is not how you want your students feeling then things become overwhelming and they can give up. Work with your students and help them understand so that they can be all they can.

This to me represents a well written lesson plan. You start with your goals of what you would like to accomplish, you analyze it to make sure it will work and then create, put it into action and of course assess the students and yourself.





 MARCH IS APPROACHING!!!! I'm very happy the weather is finally changing and we are once again seeing the grass peak out from behind the white stuff. I'm starting to notice more and more birds are coming to my bird feeders, I guess this is the time they start migrating back north. It is a very warming feeling to see them it mean spring is right around the corner and beach weather will soon be here. When we took that test in the beginning of the semester we talked about why animals migrate and of course seasons changing was my number one answer. I remember a few times seeing birds nests filled with snow, this strongly represents a loss of habitat which as another thing that i thought of. Well no more.. I'm welcoming the birds and flowers and sun back with open arms!




1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the science circus too Meagan! I thought that your experiment was really interesting! I have never seen that one before! I wish that I would have thought mine out a little bit more though. I guess you try things out and learn from them : ) I can't wait to do things like this with my class when I am a teacher!

    ReplyDelete