Sunday, February 13, 2011

Knowledge IS understanding!

How much do we really learn when we are engaged in different activities. This is an eye opening activity that we did in class today, I was amazed at how high my numbers really were compared to how much someone actually learns when they are lectured, read, even discuss. This initial activity is something that will stick with me in not just science, but all my classes like math and even literacy. We retain and learn things by practice and being hands on and mostly by teaching others. I will make sure i allow students to teach one another, engage them in demonstrating and constructing their own knowledge.









LET THEM BE THE TEACHER AND TAKE OWNERSHIP IN WHAT THEY HAVE LEARNED!


Within our class where i am a student I am put in positions where i am the scientist. I feel like a scientist making discoveries and constructing knowledge. This is very important when going into my own classroom, all students should feel as though the are scientist. This not only will help them in developing understanding of science, but it will build a positive image of their scientific self.

ALLOW STUDENTS TO ANALYZE, PREDICT, OBSERVE, EVALUATE, DISCOVER!
 
This idea of alternative conceptions I feel is very powerful, when students make predictions or believe something is a certain way it is not wrong. It is not wrong because the student may have a different experience, different view point, or even taught a specific way that is leading them to chose those answers. It is with that knowledge that i will bring into my own classroom and never fault a student for their alternative conception, instead i will encourage them to discover the right answer. This along with the 5 E Learning cycle will be a huge part of my classroom, engaging students, having the explore, allow them to explain their findings, elaborate on their findings, and evaluate what they have learned.
 This light bulb does not just represent a child learning something, but it represents their understanding. This light bulb is the one i want to go off in all my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment